On behalf of the 2016-2017 Officers, thank you to everyone who came out to the first PTO meeting of the school year! If you missed Friday’s meeting, here’s what you need to know:
Dr. McNamara, interim principal, provided clarification on recent administrative changes. As previously announced, Kristi Batis has been hired as Principal. Mrs. Batis is currently on maternity leave and will be begin October 31st. A Vice Principal, Stephen Edwards, has also been hired. His start date is still TBD and will be based on his release date from South Fayette SD.
While Dr. McNamara and Mr. Winkler fulfill their roles as interim principals at O’Hara, they are available to address concerns from parents, and they are implementing changes that were planned at the end of the 2015-2016 school year.
One of these changes was the switch to an 8:40 a.m. official drop off time, a topic parents requested be addressed at the September 16th PTO meeting. Dr. McNamara shared that the reason behind the change has to do with contractual issues. Teachers will now have a full 40 minutes before students arrive for preparation and planning. Dr. McNamara stressed that all changes are being made with the best interest of both students and teachers in mind and are consistent with other schools in our district.
Several parents also expressed concerns over late and/or inconsistent bus drop off times. Dr. McNamara took down several bus numbers and will be speaking with the bus transportation company to address these concerns.
Committees are seeking volunteers for several projects. Details for current opportunities are included below. All of these opportunities require clearances be on file with the school.
- Traveling Art Gallery (TAG). As a Traveling Art Gallery volunteer, you will make four separate 20-minute presentations in four different classrooms on one great painting. You will schedule with a teacher assigned to you for the months of November, January, March and May. Volunteers are needed for all grades and NO art background is needed. Email Annie Avondolio with questions or to sign up.
- Scholastic Book Fair (October 3 – 7). Volunteers are needed to help escort students to the book fair and assist with purchases, as well as to serve as cashiers. You can select you child’s scheduled time at the book fair. Email Maggie Mulhern for more information.
- Yearbook (year round). A great opportunity for anyone with a decent camera (sorry, your iphone doesn’t count!) to help document the school year for the yearbook. Email Lisa Correnti to learn more.
- Library Helpers (year round). Whether you are roughing it in the stacks, cutting out paper flowers, organizing books for research projects, putting up bulletin boards, or making copies, O’Hara Library Staff can use your help year round. Visit www.signupgenius.com and search using the email address “email@example.com” to find available volunteer spots by month.
- 5th Grade Day. In beginning planning stages – email Heather Strittmatter to help out!
- The school greenhouse is being revitalized! Once repaired and fully functioning, it will be used for STEM activities in all grades. We’ll be sharing more about this exciting project throughout the year.
- The Back to School Social raised over $2,100! Thank you to everyone who helped make the event a success.
- Apples to Students raised over $3,600 for O’Hara last year with 933 cards registered to our school. All you have to do to contribute to this no-cost fundraiser is register your Giant Eagle card and go about your grocery shopping as usual. Our school code is 0790.