This post has been updated for the 2017-2018 school year.
Parents and guardians are needed to help with a variety of activities in and out of the classroom throughout the year. You’ll notice that school clearances are required for just about all of the volunteer roles.
Want to help with your child’s Halloween class party? You need your clearances. Want to chaperone your child’s field trip? Grab your official volunteer badge and get on the bus! Want to help with the yearbook? You guessed it: clearances required.
It can take around 2-3 weeks (longer if you go the snail mail route!) to get all of the records back and filed with the school, so you are highly encouraged to get your clearances as soon as possible (do it now!) so that you can take advantage of volunteer opportunities throughout the year.
The good news is, once clearances are obtained and filed with the school they are valid for 5 years. Detailed instructions are included in the Volunteer Manual, but here’s what you need to do:
- Register online to obtain you FBI fingerprint background check. Enter service code 1KG6Y3 (this public-school code is specific for a volunteer through the Department of Education). The cost is $21.35.
- Get fingerprinted! Click here for a list of locations.
- Submit your application for the PA Criminal History Clearance online. There is no cost for volunteers.
- Submit your application for PA Child Abuse Clearance online. Again, this is free of charge for volunteers.
- Once you have received all of the clearance reports back, complete the School District Volunteer Application included in the Volunteer Manual and return with all 3 clearances.