Thank you to everyone who could join us at the March 16th meeting. There were several great discussions at the meeting. Here’s a recap for those who could not make it:
We know school safety is top of mind of late and appreciate Mrs. Batis and Mr. Edwards providing an overview of some of the security measures in place to keep our students safe. Keep on the lookout for future events addressing this topic. (Note: for the safety our students, security measures will not be posted here. We hope you understand!).
Courtyard Improvement Project
A new committee is being formed to tackle additional improvements to the courtyard. Earlier this year the PTO purchased tables with umbrellas for the courtyard. A district match doubled the number of tables to 12, providing ample room for teachers and students to take advantage of outside space. Future improvements will focus on incorporating flower beds or raised gardens, with input from teachers on how the space can be best used. PTO members wishing to serve on the planning committee should contact Kristina Adams.
Earlier in the year the PTO approved $7,000 allocated to teacher stipends. These stipends have now been communicated to all teachers, who have until the end of the school year to use the funds. Stipends were allotted by teaching units (e.g., 5th grade) and can be used collectively or individually as decided upon by the group. We’re excited to see how the teachers put their funds to use and thank you all for your support of the PTO – this wouldn’t be possible without your donations!
This month’s meeting included time set aside to address parent concerns.
- Beth Ruff presented information on the proposed changes to the DMS schedule. Nearly 800 people have signed a petition requesting administration delay the implementation of these changes and seek additional input from teachers and parents. Update: Per a March 19th email from District Superintendent Gene Freeman, the DMS schedule will remain the same for the next school year: “The district and the DMS administration will continue studying the schedule. As a first step, we are re-engaging in conversations with the Fox Chapel Educators Association (teachers). Next school year, while the FCEA and administration study the possibilities of a new DMS schedule, we will involve a small representative group of parents/guardians which will include the site-based representatives and an equitable representation from the community. Details and opportunities for involvement will be shared at a future time.”
- Dana Rofey also shared concerns about the lunch “extra” policy. Efforts are underway to restrict K-2 purchases of extras to one time/week. Already new restrictions have been placed to encourage students to finish their lunch before being able to purchase extras, as well as to limit purchases to one item.
- Bonnie DeMotte raised concerns over student engagement and questioned whether there might be more opportunities for students to participate in activities during school that get them excited to attend. Several parents echoed their support, and Carrie Work referenced Student Council programs in place at other district elementary schools. An ad hoc committee is in the works to further explore options and work with the school administration. If interested in participating, contact Bonnie DeMotte.
Notice of May 18 Election
The newly formed Nominating Committee includes Carly Warren, Kate Davison and Jessica Simms. The Nominating Committee announced candidates for the May 18, 2018 election as follows:
- President – Sarah Shaffer
- Vice President – Nadine Carl
- Secretary – Open at time of announcement.
Nominations will also be taken from the floor at the election, to be held May 18 at 9:15am. Officers will be elected by a majority vote from members present.
Stay tuned for a survey asking for your input on PTO activities and communications. We look forward to your feedback!
Save the Dates – Only 2 More PTO Meetings!
Thursday, April 19 from 6:30pm – 7:30pm – Join the PTO for an open discussion. Grab a beverage or food and join us in the Market District Café (Atrium).
Friday, May 18 from 9:15am – 10:15am – Calling all volunteers and PTO members! Join us for a special breakfast spread before our final meeting of the school year. Members present will vote on open Board positions and an interim budget. Committee chairs will also be announced.