Thank you to everyone who attended our April PTO meeting last week. For those who missed it, here’s what we discussed:
PTO Survey – Our annual survey is live and we’re looking forward to reviewing the results. If you haven’t had a chance to complete the survey, please do so now!
Open Board Positions – We have two openings on our volunteer board for next year: Treasurer and Fundraising Officer. Board members serve 2 year terms. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest in serving on the board.
Draft Budget – We reviewed a draft budget for the 2019-2020 school year. The budget is still a work in progress and will be presented for vote at the May 23rd PTO meeting. To request a copy, please email email@example.com.
Music Programming Options – Thank you to Mr. Funk for presenting information about the general music program at O’Hara, as well as the options for students in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade!
- In 3rd grade, all students receive a recorder and learn to play songs on the recorder. 3rd graders also have the option to play a string instrument. Instruments are rented (school instruments are available for student who are unable to rent their own), and students are pulled out of class for small group instruction.
- In 4th grade, students can opt to continue with strings and are also given the option of joining the band or choral program.
- 5th graders may continue with band, choir or strings. 5th graders also decide prior to the end of the year which music class they will take at Dorseyville Middle School (students must choose between general music, strings, band or chorus).
- If a student wants to participate in strings, band or choir in middle school, they MUST begin instruction by 5th grade (there are no beginner classes at DMS).
District Updates – Mrs. Batis shared several updates from the District:
- Pre-K Program: 27 participants applied for new pre-K program. 20 were accepted and the rest were waitlisted.
- Spanish Immersion Program: The application process for participation is open until May 17th. Complete the online registration process if you are interested.
- District Receives Awards: Awards for In Fox Chapel Community Magazine and also an award for Excellence in Music Education. Dr. Constantine received an award for being a leader in education.
- Kerr construction project is moving along well and is currently on schedule.
- The high school received their re-accreditation from the Middle States Association of Colleges, which is a great accomplishment.